Thursday, January 31, 2008

Spring Training Public Address Announcer

On Tuesday, I was asked to visit the Peoria Sports Complex for an interview. I dropped off an application looking to do some part-time work in the area. I've always wanted to work for a sports team. I thought I was going to be interviewed for work with the scorekeepers or on field promotions.

When I arrived, I was taken immediately to the Press Box and told I would be auditioning to be a Public Address Announcer. The Peoria Sports Complex is the Spring Training home of the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres. I guess the read my resume and saw that I've done some announcing in the past. So, infront of a huge crowd of 10 people and about 50 workers for the Super Bowl I was given several scripts to read cold. My voice was a little scratchy, so I asked for a bottle of water. I wasn't expecting this.

After warming up a little bit, I was told they were looking for a clear loud voice to read for the games in March. I read a general welcome, I read some between inning promotions and advertisements and I read a line up card. Pretty exciting.

I got the call back today to let me know I didn't get the job. They were looking for someone who sounds more like that the past announcer they had (big radio voice). I was told I did a great job, especially for walking in cold. So, I won't be the Spring Training Announcer for the Padres and Mariners, but how many people can say they had a chance to talk over the loud system at a baseball park........with a HUGE crowd of 60! Just another story to add my list of unique experiences!

No comments: