Friday, January 18, 2008

Rodger's Post

I get a chance to travel around the country and speak with my friend Rodger. There are points when we are on stage and I catch myself listening to his stories and words. I wish I had a notebook. We are always giving analogies to people about life. Rodger is talking about starting his own blog. He sent this to me last week. I liked it, so I've decided to post his words on the internet.

Frank,
Creative bug hit me….. Hope it lasts!

Rodger


I injured my right ankle several months ago at a family wedding ( running man is not what it used to be). I did the manly thing and iced them down and elevated. Several months later, I noticed that I was having significant pain on the right side, starting with ankle and running through the hip and shoulders, even headaches. After checking with the Dr. he referred me to Physical Therapy. At first, I was a bit skeptical because the pain was in several places why start with the ankle. They had me “play “ with a oversized rubber band and thus began the journey. I was in twice a week for an hour and all we did was “workout” my ankle using simple everyday movements with a bit of resistance. Well after a few weeks I noticed that the pain the ankle was going, the pain in the foot was gone, the legs and hip didn’t hurt. I learned some very interesting things. The ankle is critical to balance. Well duh! But when it is damaged or weakened the rest of the muscles over compensate to continue “normalcy” However, when they get used in a way they were not supposed to , significant problems can occur.
Sometimes in life we don’t pay attention to the little things that keep us balanced. Things like, just a little bit of time for ourselves to unwind, taking a moment to look at the beauty of a flower, to have that coffee with a good friend, sending a note to someone of significance. We may overcompensate by working harder and longer, pushing ourselves to get things done. and get tired. And before long, we are out of balance. Everything may appear normal, but "invisible" damage is occurring. The Physical Therapy taught me that with some understanding, some wise counsel, challenge and some focused time and attention we can strengthen the area and get balance back “to normal”. As my right ankle improved, I noticed that my left ankle was not as strong, thus needing some attention. And that is the other lesson, once you start down the road to self improvement you might be surprised by what is revealed and learned.
Have you been” injured” and “weakened”? Are you feeling “pain” in unusual places? Maybe you are out of balance. Take some time to check on your “health”, ( Physical or otherwise). Find some “wise counsel” to aid you. It might be “Simple, little things” with a bit of challenge and focus that help you move further down your road to “success”.

No comments: