Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008 Goals

Resolution - a firm decision to do or not to do something

Goals - the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result

Action Steps - a measure or action, esp. one of a series taken in order to deal with or achieve a particular thing

It's the start of a New Year. People start the year off with a clean slate and make resolutions to have a great year. People always ask me, "What are your resolutions for the New Year? I tell them, "I don't make make resolutions!" Thats when I see a dumfounded look on their faces. I tell them, "I make goals with action steps." This confuses people. They ask, " What's the difference?" Look at the definition above. If you make a resolution, you're only deciding to do something. There really isn't any action there. When you make a goal, you're telling people or putting your ambitions/desires on paper. Goals can be measured. To take it a step further, I write down the steps I need to achieve my goals. My goals and action steps have to be measurable.
A lot of people say they want to loose weight during the new year. Good goal, but if you're 200 lbs. and weigh 199 lbs. at the end of the year, you've met your goal. Instead, give yourself a target weight 175lbs., a date to hit the weight by, and a plan on how you're going to hit that weight. It takes some work, but that work gives you a better chance of meeting your goals.

There's nothing wrong with making a resolution, but people say a lot of things they never do. I talk a lot and dream a lot too. They way I challenge myself is to achieve my dreams is to put a plan together to achieve them. To take is a step further, I send my goals and action steps to my closest friends (My success team). My Success Team is there to offer support, knowledge, experience and friendship. In other words, they are there to kick me in the butt if I slack off!

I would like to wish everyone the best of luck with the achievement of their resolutions and goals for 2008. Just remember this Goal setting is like grocery shopping. You can say you need to go shopping; but if you don't make a list, you always end up forgetting something or not shopping at all!

I leave you with this quote and my goals for the year. Sorry I didn't include my action steps, but there are a lot!

"Set a goal and follow through. The world is full of unachieved yet reachable goals! Never give up! .....Unknown

Frank's Goals for 2008

To review my goals constantly
To increase my net worth/improve personal finances in 2008
To improve my golf game
To maintain constant contact with the people close to me
To travel 1 hour from home once a month
To maintain a healthy lifestyle (physically, mentally and diet)
To continue work in the speaking/entertainment world
To find opportunities to constantly educate, organize and express myself


What steps are you taking to reach your goals?

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I lost your e-mail about your goals. I remember something about winning the presidental election, winning an oscar, winning Mr. Atlas 2008, winning nobel peace prize, finanical advisor of the year, award for perfect credit score, world record holder for the most continental traveler of 2008, set the world record for 100m dash, winner of best friend award of the year according to
people's magazine and playgirl's sexiest man of '08