Sunday, November 20, 2005

Have you picked your Apple yet?

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. Thinking about goals, things I want to do, places I want to go and more.
And as I thought more, I realized anything you want to do in life is like picking apples.

You can go pick apples off a tree; you can pick them from a bunch of apples at a store or market; or you can get them already packaged in a bag. You can aslo choose not to get any at all. The thing is no matter where you pick your apples, there are different types of "rightness" or "wrongness." The apples can be just right, not ready yet, going bad or rotten.

There are people who go and pick their own apples; there are people who have other people pick the apples for them; and there are people who just don't pick apples at all or wait for them to fall out of the tree. I'm working more and more on being the person who goes out and picks my own apples. By picking my own, a lot can happen.

#1 I'll have a great selection to pick from. I can pick one or I can pick a lot. Some will be just right; some may need time to ripen; but I can avoid the bad ones.
#2 I won't have to worry about someone keeping all the best apples for themselves.
#3 I'll have the good feeling inside of knowing I did something/ made something happen.
#4 I'll learn a lot that I can use for the future apple picking.

Picking apples is and can be hard work. I may have to climb a tree, drag a ladder to the tree, find a cherry picker, go to the store or knock the tree over. I'll may need some help along the way from other apple pickers. All I know is the hard work will pay off. I'll also learn a lot and life is about learning, be assertive and taking advantage of opportunities; not waiting around for something to happen!

Good Luck to everyone who's picking apples! Don't be the person waiting for the apples to fall out of tree. You never know what you might get. If you do get an apple or two, don't wait too long to eat/use it, it may go rotten or become full of wholes!

I've to run, I've got some apples to pick. For the other apple pickers in my life, thanks for knowledge of what to look for; the encouragement; or just showing me how to climb the tree/where to find a ladder! I plan on picking a lot of apples and I plan on sharing them with the people just listed! Life is short, pick your apples and don't let them go bad or get old!

No comments: