Friday, November 25, 2005

The Day After Thanksgiving



It's the day after Thanksgiving. Did I wake up at 3 Am to wait outside of a store for a "Early, Early, Early Bird Sale" that starts at 5AM? Was there something I wanted so bad that I wanted to fight a couple of thousand people for it? Did I have a good chance to get that special item that is limited to 1 per store with no rainchecks? Not really, because I did what I've done the last couple of years on "Black Friday"; I stayed asleep in my nice warm bed!

Yesterday I did look at the papers to see if there were any gifts I wanted to get family and friends, but there wasn't anything spectacular that I saw. Does anyone really show up to a furniture store at 6AM to get free deliverary on a Sofa? Is there a reason to go to a dark cold Office Max parking lot at 4 AM? Some of the stores opened at 4:30 AM and 5AM this year. It makes you wonder what things will be like 10 years from now....."Early Bird Specials start a 12:01 AM, get here early to beat the crowds, bring your Thanksgiving leftovers with you!"

Yesterday was good, I ate a lot. I split my Turkey Day at two houses. I went to my friend Rachel's to have our weekly viewing of LOST. I'm hooked on the show. Rachel, her sister Becca and I get together every week, rotating houses to watch the show. It started snowing on Wednesday night, so we were minus Becca. The weathermen were predicting 2 feet of snow. I ended up crashing in the guest room. I had one of her cats (Kitty) help keep me warm. I helped Rachel with some Thanksgiving desserts..assited with making my first pumpkin pie. Rachel still has to teach me on how to make that fancy pie crust. Woke up Thanksgiving morning to about 6 inches of snow covering everything. So watched some of the Turkey Day Parades with their cheesey music numbers and lip syncing and I headed over to my friend Scott's. Scott is my best friend and his family treats me like their second son. Dinner was great. I received several texts and calls for Turkey Day, so everyone who called or texted..THANK YOU! Everyone at Scott's had the post Thanksgiving dinner look on their faces, so we relaxed a bit, then I jumped back in my car to head back over to Rachel's. I got invited for another dinner, so left the 2 inches of snow at Scott's parents and back to the now 8 inches at Rachel's. I ate more food (great again) and really good deserts! Rachel's mom is a funny and nice lady. I'm going to start calling her "E-Harmony" or "Match.com". I think I'm officially part of the family now because she's trying to marry my off now, just like her daughters. We talked for a bit and I think she has my complete dating profile now! =0 ) She's just like everyone's mom, wants her kids or the people she likes to be happy.

So, after dinner, ended watching Daddy Day Care. We all made comments about the commercials, because every commercial was about "Beat the crowd..show up at 5 AM for our Early Bird Specials!"

By the time the movie was over more snow had fallen. So went to clean my car off again. When I came back into warm up near the fireplace, I swear the weatherman was crying on TV. He was predicting a HUGE Blizzard with 2 feet of snow and I think the fact that people were able to get on the roads and house weren't burried killed him.

So, back home last night, to climb in my warm bed and dream about how I wasn't going to be any "early bird," but how I'm going to be an lazy bird today!

I have no plans for the weekend, other than watch the snow fall (yes it's still snowing 2 days later), clean up some stuff around my place, make some pancakes (I'm hungry) and watch some movies. What a great way to spend "The Day After Thanksgiving!" The only way it would be better, is if I had someone special to be lazy with me!

No comments: