Friday, August 29, 2008

First Class

This summer I received a letter from Continental Airlines. Due to all of my travels on their airline as a frequent flyer I was upgraded to the status of Elite Access. This meant I would be able to get on the planes first, use the VIP lounges and get upgraded on flights.

I finally got a chance to use my new “status” today. I received an e-mail from Continental concerning my flight from New York to Chicago. The e-mail said I was being upgraded from coach to FIRST CLASS! Wow, what did I do to earn this? I guess there were seats that weren’t booked, so I got upgraded. I’ve only flown first class once in my life and that was because another airline (Airtran) made me and my friends wait for a flight.

Today was a true first class experience. I got on the plane with the first group. I got a nice wide padded leather seat with a TON of legroom. I got hot soup, a bowl of fruit and a smoked chicken panini. My beverages were served in glass and I was given real silverware to use. After a long week on the road, the Continental First Class treatment was appreciated greatly. I was even offered wine. Thumbs up on the Cream of Mushroom Soup!

In a few days I’ll be back to flying coach. I’ll be back with the “regular Joes.” I’ll still have my memories. My experience lasted less than two hours, but it will be remembered for a long time.