Monday, February 04, 2008

I'm too busy!

February is here already! How is your year going so far? A lot of us set goals/made resolutions for the New Year. We were all excited on New Year's Eve. " This year is going to be different!" "Things are going to change!" But now it's February and life has happened. A lot of us are saying these words......"I'm too busy!"

I've been working with several people lately and listening to them say "I'm busy!" I would have done ________ , but I was too busy.
I decided to look up busy in the dictionary. Here's what I found:

busy |ˈbizē|
adjective ( busier , busiest )
having a great deal to do : he had been too busy to enjoy himself | there was enough work to keep two people busy.
• occupied with or concentrating on a particular activity or object of attention : the team members are busy raising money | he was busy with preparations.
• (of a place) full of activity.
• excessively detailed or decorated; fussy : they papered the bedroom with a busy pattern of satyrs and dryads.
• (of a telephone line) engaged.

Rodger and I were recently helping a student. She said she was too busy to get a lot of projects done and no one would help her because they said, they were too busy. We started to talk to her about the definition above.

A lot of us use the excuse of being busy. The real truth is, the things we are too busy to do aren't that important to us. When something is really important to you, you find time for it. I know people who are busy in many ways, but they are busy doing things that are important to them.They have a great deal to do. They are doing things that are important to them.

Many of us are busy doing things that aren't that important. When we write down our goals for the year, those are important things, but then we let a lot of distractions get in the way and make up the excuse of "I'm busy." The sad part is a lot of times we concern ourselves too much with things that aren't important. You hear people say I'm too busy to work out or diet. Hmmmm, we have time to watch tv, surf the internet, talk on the phone. What is more important? You hear people who say I'm too busy to find a better job; but they spend tons time complaining about how bad there job is, working tons of extra unpaid hours or nothing at all. Finally you have people who say they are too busy to spend time with their loved ones. They don't send emails, make a phone call, send a text or spend time. But once again, there is time for tv, internet, and tons of other unimportant things.

We all live busy lives, but think about the next time you say "I'm too busy." I wish I had time for ________, but I'm too busy. You're essentially saying that the thing you're too busy to do isn't that important to you, or that important to you at that time. Watch who you say those words too. You could be telling someone they are not important to you.

When something is important to you, you will find time to do it. The excuse, I'm too busy won't come out of your mouth.

There are still 11 months left in 2008. Many of us wrote down all of the important things we want to do this year. Go back and look at the list. It's never to late to get started. Sometimes we need to kick ourselves in the butt and get things going. We need to look ourselves in the mirror and say _______ is important to me and I'm not going to use the excuse, I'm too busy. I'm going to avoid all the distractions and start focusing on what is important.

So, I hope everyone keeps busy doing what they enjoy or what's important to them! Just avoid that line in the definition...."He was too busy to enjoy himself!"

No comments: