Friday, May 11, 2007

N-Word

There’s been a lot of talk lately in the media about the “N-word.” I can’t stand the word. I can’t type and can’t make myself say the word for any reason!

We’ve been having some issues at work with students using the “N-word.” The students happen to be black. I’ve made some comments to them several times and they said they were going to work on it. Another one of my students recently came to me to do a story on the “N-word” for the school newspaper. I told him how much I hated the word and how much it bothered me to hear anyone say it. Also talked about how the word is used in a lot of music. I started to think about some of the songs I have on my computer and how certain lyrics and the “N-Word” really bother me.

So, I decided to make a big step to prove to myself how much the “N-word” bothers me. I went thru my entire ITunes library and deleted every song that uses the “N-word!” I got rid of some good songs, but the “n-word” in the songs is like someone taking their fingernails across a chalkboard.

I’m not leading a crusade or going to force my opinion on people. I just can’t stand the word. It’s very hateful and I’m choosing not to do anything that shows support for the usage of the word.

Life is about choices and this is a choice I’m making that I feel really good about!

1 comment:

E-Speed said...

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. It is a shame that certain genres of music I like use the word and other words for women that I don't care for either.