Saturday, August 11, 2007

South Mountain 5k

Kelly has been running a lot this year getting ready for the PF Chang Rock and Roll Half Marathon. She asked me to join her for the South Mountain 5k this morning. The race was entirely up hill and started at 6:30AM. The temperature was already in the high 80's maybe 90 when the race started. Talk about a lot of sweat! There were some college runners and high school runners that made everyone look SLOW. I saw one guy run the race multiple times. I asked him how many times he ran the course and he said, "three and a half." If that made me feel bad, I felt worse when I realized he ran the race twice in what our group almost ran it once! Wow! He was averaging 15 minutes to finish the race.

I'm happy with my results. I haven't run in a long time. With the heat and running up hill, and stopping to walk, I finised somewhere betweeen 24 and 25 mintes. There are several other races Kelly wants to do, so I'll have to join her in the gym more often to get in running shape. My goal is to do a race in 20-21 minutes. Wish me luck. Luck not killing myself! lol

One last note, by the time the race was over and we ate breakfast and came home I read a sign that said 103 degrees! At 10 AM. It feels hot but not as hot as the hot and humid east coast! Its supposed to hit 113 this week, so I'll have to type how that feels.

Off to hike some mountain trails tommorrow. I'll have to take and post some good pictures.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I totally throw my gameplan out the window when temps are above 80. You did good to run 24-25 in those conditions!