Monday, February 27, 2006

Life and Death

Tough day at work today. My co-worker's father has been given a couple of hours or days left to live. The good part of the story is, the doctors only gave him 3-6 months to survive his cancer a year and a half ago; the bad part of the story is the family has to sit and wait for him to die. What do you say to a co-worker/friend? Would you want to pass away unexpectedly or would you want to know exactly when things will end?

While all this was going on, I went to have my living will and durable power of attorney notarized. It's kind of scary to think I was preparing for my eventual death, but I also feel good that the people closest to me (family and friends) will know what to do, or what my wishes are. I've heard so many stories of people suddenly dying and no one knowing what to do. Hearing these stories, got me thinking about having my will written up.

While I was doing this, I heard the story of a US serviceman who passed away in Iraq. He had been writing his family via e-mail. Due to privacy laws, the family is unable to get into his e-mail account to collect the saved e-mails he mailed to them. After 6 months of non usage, the e-mail account will be deleted. It made me think, "Do the people closest to me know where I keep important information?" "Do they I know what my wishes are if I were to pass away unexpectedly?"

Thinking these thoughts, I began to put together a "ICE" file on my computer. ICE - In Case of Emergency. I started collecting all of my passwords for everything, all of my account information, phone #s and contact information of my friends and family and a lists of where to find things in my apartment. It made me realize how much the people close to me don't know about me. It's scary. I also thought about how tough things would really be if I passed away right now. Death isn't an easy thing, but I'd like it to be somewhat easier for the people closest to me. After I completed this list, I made copies. So far, my mom and my best friend have this list/file. I plan on giving it to a few other people I really trust. The file is in an envelope and says to only open in an emergency. I'm more at ease now, because I know my family and friends won't be one of those groups fighting on the news because no one knew what to do.

My will and power of attorney are all official now. I just have to get copies to a few important people in my life. I hope I didn't scare anyone, but when you get a chance, find out what the people closest to you want you to do in case there is an unexpected emergency!

Thoughts and Prayers to the Dube Family in Ohio!

No comments: