Friday, June 24, 2011

Graduation


Last weekend I had the exciting opportunity to give the graduation speech for the Best Buddies Arizona Ambassadors Graduation.

I was asked at the last second. I needed to put together a speech that would inspire and motivate. The pressure was on. I wanted to do a great job because I knew all of the people graduating. I also wanted them to know that they had accomplished something special.

During the week I put a few ideas down on paper. The morning of the graduation I looked at what I had. I added a few words and moved a few paragraphs around to create my speech. I have a unique way of writing, but it works for me. I never write things in order. I just clear my mind of the thoughts and ideas I want to convey. Then I put them together in an order that makes sense.

The graduates and their parents enjoyed the speech. A lot of people said thank you, but one of the best compliments I valued most came from my wife. Kelly knew I had limited time to write the speech and barely had time to practice it. She told me, "I liked the speech, you are really good at writing." When you receive a compliment from someone who loves you, you get a fuzzy feeling inside.

Here is the speech I wrote. Enjoy

Good Afternoon my name is Frank Kitchen

On behalf of the Best Buddies Arizona Board of Directors I would like to welcome the Best Buddies Ambassadors, their family and friends, and the Best Buddies staff. We thank you for attending today’s Graduation Ceremony.

I work at the Phoenix Zoo, I travel around the country as a motivational speaker, I am a husband and I am proud to say that I am a Best Buddies Speech Coach.

A few months ago I was asked by Dakota and his mother Gina to volunteer as his speech coach. I am so happy I said yes. Working with Dakota at the zoo is fun. But working with all of you at Best Buddies has been fun and life changing. My life has been full of incredible experiences. Working with all of you puts a smile on my face.

Today we are here to celebrate the amazing accomplishments of our New Best Buddies Ambassadors. These individuals have been participating in a program that provides personal and professional development skills.

I read a shirt in the Best Buddies office that says “Be Jealous.” That shirt is so right. I am so jealous of the skills you have learned while attending your training workshops. The workshops will not only make you great ambassadors, they are providing you with the needed skills to make you positive role models in the community.

I’ll admit I didn’t know much about Best Buddies when I was first asked to volunteer. I was told I would be working with people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities. All of you are so much more.

I used the dictionary to find the definition of the word Disability.

Disability - A physical or mental condition that limits a person’s movements, senses, or activities.

I know many of you, and you have displayed that you are not limited.

All of you have talents and special skills. These talents and special skills enable you to achieve your goals and dreams.

How many of you like movies? They are calling this the summer of Superheroes. I met a few superheroes this spring. The Best Buddies Ambassadors are my super heroes.

A hero is someone who is admired for their abilities, deeds and noble qualities.

Just like a superhero you have special abilities you can share with the world. Some of you know what your special abilities are; some of you are still learning them.

You have qualities that people admire. You are role models for the community. You always hear people focus on what superheroes can do not what they can’t.

No one says Superman can’t drive. Did you ever see him drive a car? He didn’t need to. He could fly.

Did you ever see Spiderman use an elevator? Nope. He just climbed the wall or used a web.

Batman didn’t have any super natural powers, but he uses his mind to build what he needed.

Ladies, you have Wonder Woman. She has brains and strength. You never see her waiting in line for a plane at the airport. She has an invisible plane she can fly. Do you think she complains about airline tickets?

You may not notice it, but you’ve done some amazing things. Raise your hand and say me too if you have these abilities.

Who has the ability to:

Play an instrument

Volunteer

Play a sport

Travel outside of Arizona

Be a good dancer

Sing

Have dreams

Have goals

Have a job

Go to school

Be a role model

You all have special abilities, and just like super heroes, you have snazzy costumes. Don’t you look good today?

Look how much everyone in the room has in common. The

World would be a better place if people spent more time focusing on what we have in common versus focusing on our differences.

I have worked with all of you over the last three months and I have learned how much I have in common with you. I have also learned that you have abilities that I am jealous of and would love to have.

Over the past few months, I watched Rachel and Adrienne provide you with the skills to be an ambassador. You’ve learned how to give a great first impression, network with others, develop a elevator speech, use props, set goals, and you were exposed to countless professional skills many people in the real world pays thousands of dollars to learn.

Along the way, your coaches were there to help you. The truth is, you helped us. You showed us hot to enjoy life. You passion is so inspiring.

You were all ambassadors before today. You showed everyone here what people can do when they are passionate about life. You showed us how to:

Create a game based on colors…the Color Game

Using technology

Text on phones

Use Facebook

Give great Hugs

Display huge Smiles

Teach us what is good music and bad music

Some of you graduated from High School

And other here are getting their Driver’s License

Some of you will be attending College

Other will be representing their community

And all of you have showed us how to be a Role Model

These are just a few of the things a good ambassador does. These are a few of the reasons I’ve accepted a position on the board of directors. You made an impact on my life and I want to assist you impact the lives of others in a positive way.

No one here is disabled. Everyone here has god given abilities and talents. Those talents need to shared with the world. That is why you are Best Buddies Ambassadors. It is your time to show the world what you can do! When you do that, the world will be a better place.

My buddy and friend Dakota always tells me, “It’s ok to have a disability.”

All of you are truth to that statement.

I ask everyone to please stand in your honor and say “thank you” and say “CONGRATULATIONS!”



No comments: