Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Spokane, Washington


Riverside Park in Downtown Spokane. It's different seeing leaves falling off of trees and the change of seasons now that I live in Arizona.

The buildings of downtown Spokane. Spokane is the second largest city in the state of Washington and the farthest north I have ever been in the continental United States.

A view of the Spokane area from the window of my plane.

Last weekend I was in Spokane, Washington for the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) West Regional Conference. What a GREAT time! I was invited to give/teach four workshops. I was also there with Rodger to sell ourselves/services as "The BAD BAD Apples." Between my workshops and Rodger's, the BAD BAD Apples and Coleman Productions (the agency the represents us) was well known. Two of the company's speakers performed during the lecture showcase. Another one of the companies speakers also taught two workshops. Between the five of us who were present, the company had two showcases and seven workshops. All the face time had our booth packed!

Rodger and I gave some of the best performances/workshops we've done all year. You know you're doing a great job when one of your workshops gets cancelled but people still show up and you fill the room! You also know you're doing good when people show up to your workshops not because of the subject you're talking about; they show up because they just want to hear you talk/perform. That's what several students told us. I was teaching one workshops for college staff and advisors and several students asked if they could sit in because they saw me in the room and knew they would learn something.

I have to plug one of the speakers. His name is Marcus Engel. He plugged Rodger and I on his website so I need to do the same for him. Marcus is a Insperational/Motivational Speaker and Author. I've read about his story, but it was more inspiring to hear in person. Marcus was hit by a drunk driver in 1993. The accident blinded him and broke everyone bone in his face. He barely survived. Years later, he is traveling the country speaking about his accident and inspiring people to live every day like it's your last, because it could be. For any of you who read this blog and constantly complain about what life brings you, read Marcus's Blog. I'm sure you'll have second thought about some of the "little things" you complain about. I was only around Marcus for a little bit, but I never heard him complain! Marcus Engel's blog

Something to add to the interesting facts was my conversation with a local taxi driver. People in the state of Washington have tried to split the state into two states sveral times. More people live in King County (Seattle) than the rest of the state combined. There are 39 counties in the state and the votes of 38 counties and be trumped by the vote of one. I guess there have been a lot of time when 38 counties will vote one way and King County will vote another. A lot of the people feel this leads to misrepresentation. I didn't know if this was true our not, so when I got home I looked up the subject on the internet. Turns our the taxi driver wasn't lying. Several times the people of Eastern Washington and the panhandle of Idaho have pushed to form a 51st state. The state would be called Lincoln or Eastern Washington. For more information go to this website. Eastern Washington Information

No comments: