Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Tuskegee Airmen





At the Rotary Conference I attended today we had special guest speakers. Members of the local chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen.
The Tuskegee Airmen were Black/African American military pilots and service crews for the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. They faced descrimination, were told they weren't smart enough to fly, and would not be able to serve their country. If you click on the link/title above you can find out more about these special men.

The presentation was great and brought a few people to tears. Many of the people in the audience hadn't heard the story before, which amazed me. There were some interesting facts and comments given during the presention. Here a few:

" Positive change happens through example, not through critism"

" I decide my behavior based on my values not by how people treat me or want me to behave"

George Lucas is doing research/pre production on a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen. While doing his research he learned that over 14,000 men served in the Tuskegee Airmen. To this day none has ever been arrested.

If you would like more information on the Cleveland Chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen or purchasing merchandise (books and videos) write the following address:

Tuskegee Airmen: North Coast Chapter
Po Box 642
Hiram, Ohio 44234-0642
330-569-5104


1 comment:

Brian said...

I had the fortune of meeting some of the Tuskegee Airmen when I was at OU. There's a great movie made about them! Check it out.