Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Jacksonville!

What a great weekend! I just got back from Jacksonville, Florida. I was there for the National Conference on Student Leadership (NCSL). Rodger and I got invited to give our speech “Are you a Bad Apple?” and to present some workshops relating student leaderships. Students from college student governments and programs boards from all around the United States attended.

Rodger and I were laughing because we were asked to give a lunchtime keynote speech on April Fools Day! The lunch event was also the last scheduled event of the day. So, lets add up everything…..April Fools Day, Lunchtime lecture, sunny 85 degree day near the beach, college students, last event of the day and it’s Sunday. All I can say is, Rodger and I did our thing in front of over 300 people and more than half stayed after the presentation/show to talk to us, take pictures and ask for autographs. What a great time!

One of the best parts of the show was the fact that my family (Mom, sister and brother) drove up from Tampa to see me and watch the show. The support from them was great! They’ve never seen me perform, so I had to make sure things went really good.

One of the best stories had to be the sound check. About 2 hours before we performed Rodger and I went to the ballroom to test out the microphones and sound system. We play music during our show and do some dancing, so we needed to make sure everything worked right. While we were practicing, the serving staff was setting up all the tables for lunch. When we started to play the music, they began dancing and signing and they’re manager came over and asked us to crank the music up. It’s amazing to see how music and change peoples body language. Soon the staff was making requests; I was using my IPod to mix the songs. We were having some much fun, we didn’t know how loud we were. Some of the conference staff came over to let us know the music was too loud and disturbing some of the workshops down the hall. The staff wasn’t too happy when we turned the music down. The “Mastercard Priceless Moment” had to be watching the waiter George (at least 50 years old) dancing and singing to “ABC” by the Jackson 5 while pouring water.

After the show, I changed and met my family. We toured around the Jacksonville waterfront and went to the beach. Spring Break was still in effect, so we didn’t stay there long. I haven’t seen my family since Christmas, so it was good to catch up only if it was for a short time.

Monday it was back to work giving workshops in the morning. Rodger and I had full workshops. It’s always fun to have people show up to sessions you teach especially when it’s early in the morning. For students to ask you can you come to visit their school, to stop you in the hallways to say hello or yell out “I’m BAD!” or just to say ”thank you” is an amazing feeling. The group from the Marshall Islands was a fun group to talk to. The Marshall Islands are in the South Pacific. The group was trying to adjust to 17 hour time difference. Meeting students from all around the country was a lot of fun. I definitely want this to become my full-time job!

It was also nice to get out of cold Ohio. I’m off to Vegas on Thursday! I hope everyone has a Happy Easter or Passover! Vegas pics will be up next week!

Here are pictures from the weekend:












3 comments:

Brian said...

Your family looks great! Glad you got to enjoy some time with them while you were there! Good luck making this your full time job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Frank, I'm so sorry we didn't get to meet up when you down in Jacksonville. Kayla had games in Atlanta on both Saturday and Sunday (go figure). They lost both, but she scored the first goal of the season for her team.. fyi, she's the only girl- YAY. I'll try to keep in touch better! Miss you! It's about time you called Kelly your girlfriend!

E-Speed said...

I LOVE the foutain photo! The kids face is priceless!