Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Frank's Sweet Potato Pie



One of my favorite desserts is Sweet Potato Pie. My mom and grandmother would make it for me as a kid. We would always have it as a dessert during the holidays. I could never find anyone to make it the way grandma did, so I asked her for her recipe. Over the years, I've made a few adjustments to the recipe to make it mine.

Over the years I've brought pies into work to share with my co-workers and now the ask me to make some every year around the holidays. I always talk to people about making gifts special and unique to the person you give the gift too. Since my co-workers and friends like my pies so much, I started baking last night. I ended up making six pies. I wrapped the pies up this morning and attached a card with the recipe and a Christmas/Holiday card. I'm sure I'll still get requests to make the pies, but now my friends have the chance to make the pies themselves. For my family in Florida, I'll be there in a few days to make your pies!

I can't make pies for everyone, so below is a copy of my recipe. If you have any questions, leave me a comment. Happy Holidays to Everyone! I hope you enjoy your gift below.

Frank's Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients
4 large Yams or 6 medium/small yams
2 Deep pie shells or 3 shallow pie shells
2 Eggs
1 Stick of butter
1 Cup of sugar
1 Can of sweetened condensed milk
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Nutmeg

Instructions
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and boil yams
- When yams are soft, drain and mash to a fine consistency
- Melt butter
- Mix butter, mashed yams and remaining ingredients together to an even consistency.
- Add mixture for pie shells
•- Bake for 1 hour or until pie crust and top of pie are brown.
- Eat warm or chilled

1 comment:

Brian said...

Awesome! You don't know how happy this makes me!