Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Airport Security

A lot of people are probably worried or clueless to what you can and can’t bring to the airport these days. Let me be the first to complain about how terrorism has made things more difficult when it comes to traveling.

Over the last 2 months, I have been in seven different airports. Each airport has a different set of rules when it comes to screening and carry-ons. This should worry people and the government.

My trips lately have been short one and two day trips. This means I just carry my bag on to the plane. When the terror scandal broke in London this summer that changed things big time for people like me. I hate waiting 30+ minutes to get my suitcase at the baggage claim. It takes too long and it’s difficult to find your suitcase in the sea of black suitcases found at most airport baggage claims worldwide.

I also try to avoid waiting in airports for 2 to 3 hours. That’s why I love the carry on bag. The problem for about a month or two was you couldn’t bring any liquids or gels past the security checks. Recently that rule changed and you could bring travel size toiletries in your carry on. The problem is every airport seems to interpret the rules differently. I had a couple of employees at one airport have a debate over my chapstick.

In one airport, I was to have my toiletries out for inspection. This seemed true until my one friend never unpacked his in Chicago. No problem with security.

Then I heard you’re not supposed to bring any liquids past the security point. I was in the Phoenix airport and watched a guy put a water bottle in his pocket and walk past security.

Then I’ve been told you can have 3 oz. travel size gels and liquids (toothpaste, lotion, eye drops, etc) in your carry on bag. Then another airport told me 6 oz were acceptable. Then I brought a 10 oz travel size lotion to one airport to only have it taken away at another airport. You have to love how everyone follows the rules.

The only things I can suggest are the following:

#1 Check your bag when you get to the airport and pack whatever you want. Be sure to put your shoes at the top of the bag.

#2 If you don’t check your bag, pack all of your liquids and gels in a clear zip lock bag. Be sure to pull the items out of your bag before you go through the security check. Keep the items travel size, under 6 ounces.

#3 If you plan on bringing any food or liquid to the airport or on the airplane, forget about it. They will only let you bring food or liquids on the plane that you buy from vendors behind the airport security checks.

#4 If the airline you're flying allows you to pre print your boarding pass at home, do it. It saves you a ton of time.

#5 Avoid buying a black or red suitcase, everybody has one!

Good luck with your traveling and be warned…every airport is different when it comes to security no matter what the government tells you!

No comments: