Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What it takes to run a business

My beautiful wife is always giving me great ideas for speeches, marketing materials, finances, life and what to wear. Her latest "plan" was about my blog. She came up with the great idea of me sharing the details of what it takes to be a Professional Speaker.

Many of you only get to see what happens on stage for my shows and performances, but that is only a part of the story.

Prepare yourself for some funny stories and a lot of information on what it "really" takes to get a business off the ground.

I'm looking for a name for these entries, so if you have any ideas, please send them to me. Until the next behind the scenes post, I leave you with this.

I was up at 6:00 AM this morning to start my work. Today's list of things to do included the following:

- Manage my database of current and potential clients
- Made several phone calls to past clients to let them know I'll be in their areas this fall. I have a lot of long standing relationships and I like to hold dates on my calendar just for them. I like to treat anyone I work with like family.
- Paid a few bills
- I had a phone call with my insurance agent to discuss my business insurance
- Had a call with my "Bad Bad Apples" business partner to discuss future opportunities. We talk, text or skype daily
- I posted new blogs
- I'm about to call the accountant to discuss my companies taxes. Have to get everything taken care of by March 15th.

I did manage to have breakfast. Eggs, pancakes and chicken sausage with OJ and my daily vitamin.

I love speaking, but the one thing I've learned over the years is - Speaking is only a small part of being a speaker.

Thank you for reading. I have more work to do. I'm off to finish editing my book "Fresh from the Kitchen"


No comments: