Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day



Today is Memorial Day in the United States. This has been a national holiday since the late 1800's. This public holiday is meant to remember all the brave men and women who have served and/or died in the United States Military since our nation was founded.

When I was in Australia, I went to a ceremony called ANZAC Day. It's the Australia's Memorial Day. The ceremony started at sunrise (5:30 AM) and the ceremony I went to had almost 800 people. It was great to see the pride the people had in their country and the people who fought to protect the freedoms their citizens have. A couple of the Australians I wanted me to thank our military for helping their country in World War II. I was told "If it weren't for the Americans, we wouldn't be here today!"

That brings me back to today. I usually try to make it to as many ceremonies as possible, but I missed one last year. After going on my trip and seeing how much national pride other countries have, I said I would show the pride I have for my country when I returned. We have a lot of freedoms here in the United States, and after traveling internationally, I've realized how many of us have taken these freedoms for granted. A lot of our major holidays have been turned into shopping holidays and times to have barbecues and picnics. Sometimes I ask myself.."Do people really know why we have this holiday?"

I went to a small ceremony that only had about 40 people in attendance. It was my way of showing respect to the people who fought and are fighting for the freedoms that I have today and also to show respect for my cousin in Iraq and the US troops. You may not agree with the military and actions, but it doesn't hurt to show respect for the people who believe enough in their country to put their lives in danger.

I understand people are "busy" and can't always get to ceremonies, but the next time Memorial Day, independence Day, Veterans Day or any other National Holiday comes around, remember what the meaning of the holiday is. Even if you can't make it to a public ceremony, make sure you do something to help show you remember why we have that holiday.

And on Memorial Day, remember....while we're complaining things in your life, remember this...if the millions of men and women who have fought and died for our country didn't do what they did, then we wouldn't be able to complain.

No comments: