Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Climb your mountain

I moved to Phoenix, Arizona almost 7 years ago. I told myself that I was going to do a lot of hiking and exploring. I wanted to do to keep healthy and wanted to bulk up my "Chicken Legs." Have you seen the legs of hikers? Jealous! 

I did a little bit of hiking and went to a few local parks, but I didn't really follow through on what I said.

For six years I drove by a mountain known as Squaw Peak (now know as Piestewa Peak).  I saw people climbing to the top. I kept saying to myself, "I'd like to climb that mountain"...all 2,610 feet of it. I said those same words for almost six years. Finally my sister moved to town and asked to go hiking. I asked her if she wanted to help me achieve my dream of climbing to the top of the mountain. She said yes.

We woke up early on a Friday morning last July and headed for the mountain. From the base of the mountain to the top is about 1,208 feet. A good pace will get you up the trail (1.2 miles) in about 30-45 minutes. It's a steep climb.

When I got to the top of the mountain and saw the views, I was excited to achieve my dream. I was also upset with myself. It took me 6 years to get off of my butt to make the climb happen. While I was reflecting, I met a lady in her late 70's.  She told me how she climbs the mountain everyday. She waits at the peak to greet climbers and she "friends" many of them on Facebook. I talked with Sandy for awhile and she and her husband shared their great perspectives on life with me. They also took a few pictures of me and "friended" me on Facebook. They were living proof  that you're never too old to do something.

For those of you wondering, my sister made it to the top too, before heading back down the mountain to do some more exploring.

I'm sharing this story with you, because February is almost over. That's right almost 2 months down in 2014. I've been reflecting on all the things I said I want to do this year and all of the things I said I wanted to do in the past. There are great things I have accomplished in my life, but so many that I haven't accomplished because I didn't get off of my butt or take action.

I told my wife, "The more we dream about something the further away that dream becomes." Many of us talk a good game. We talk about what we want to do, but we don't do it. It's great to dream about something, but you have to take action to make yours dream come true. Many of our dreams may look like a unclimbable mountain. We make the mountain unclimbable in our minds. We push things off, make excuses, or choose not to climb. 

Making our dreams come true takes a lot of work. The work isn't exciting, it isn't glamorous, it definitely isn't easy...ask my sister how easy the climb was, but when you get to where you want to go, the views are amazing. The reward is worth the work. 

Since that morning in July, I've hiked the to the top of 3 of the highest peaks in the Phoenix area. I still have A LOT of work to do on my "Chicken Legs." The keywords are "work to do." I have to take action.

As I look back at the climb that day (photos are below), I realize there are a lot of unclimbed mountains in my life that I need to go climb. Some I can do on my own, others I will need support of family and friends. The main thing I have to do, is take action and do it.  I can't just dream about it in my head. I can't make any excuses. I can't say "I wish I would", I hope I can" or "I wish I could."I just take action and make it happen.

Good Luck with making things happen the rest of this year and in the future. Remember this great quote from my friend Rodger Campbell..."Share your vision and live your dream!"








No comments: