Sunday, March 28, 2010

Work for yourself?

In these tough times of people being laid off, not being employed or not being satisfied with their work; a few brave soles have decided to start their own businesses.

The feeling is, if I'm going to work hard, I should work hard to make my dreams come true and not the dreams of someone else.

It's funny how we are told about how great diversity will be in our lives. We are told have diverse friends, experiences, stock portfolios, ideas, etc. But, when it comes to work, we need to specialize. When you do specialize in one thing, and that one thing goes bad, your are out of luck. You're either forced into working something you don't enjoy, unemployed or looking for something new/starting over.

I've learned that the hard way and I'm teaching myself how to be like a farmer. A farmer doesn't specialize in just one crop, he or she has several crops. They have a main crop and buffer crops to help pick up the slack if the main crop has low demand or need. Why aren't we taught this with our work lives and careers?

For a year now I've been a business owner. I don't have the ability to completely live off of my business alone but that is the plan. When it does take off, I'll be sure to have other employment and other buffer crops under the umbrella of my business name "Frank Kitchen Enterprises."

The current economy has taught us that nothing is guaranteed. We have to do what we can to provide for ourselves and our families.

A lot of businesses want people to be loyal to them but they aren't loyal to their employees. This s why people have to start looking out for themselves more. To do this many are starting their own companies. You have to work hard when you have your own business, but you know what and who you're working for.

If you would like to know more about starting your own business, click on this LINK!