Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The 44th President of the United States

President Obama

The United States really surprised me on Election Day 2008. I didn’t vote because of race, but it was inspiring to see that face on the television screen. It was great to see so many people who put race aside to vote on a candidate they believe can lead this country. I just happened to be a black man. Seeing Barack take the oath of office and being our President was like seeing the new Pope. It’s not what you expected or were used to seeing.

In November I posted my feelings about voting and let everyone know whom I voted for. Two months later, Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States.

I had to work on Tuesday, but any time I got a chance, I found a television set or a computer to read or watch anything I could about the newest President of the United States. To be honest, I still can’t believe it. My girlfriend talked about having a new sense of hope with our new President. I told he I had goose bumps and shed a few tears.

I remembered watching the news on election night. A US Military Officer in Afghanistan said Election Day was the first time he truly believed the Constitution…”All men are created equal.” Tuesday doesn’t make this completely true. Many groups still aren’t competing on the same levels, but it’s a little easier to believe you can when you see someone with a background closer to yours hold the highest position in the land when you’ve never seen or thought of it before.

Being a Black American male it felt really good to see a face that looks similar to mine all over the media as the President of the United States. I have spent the last fifteen years working with people telling them anything is possible. But, when I talked to friends several years ago about the possibility of having a Black or a Female as President of the United States; I didn’t know if I would ever see it happen. Those scenarios where only seen in movies or on television shows.

This blog entry isn’t about politics. It’s about the possibilities for the future. After Tuesday, a lot of people won’t have an excuse to excel or achieve their dreams, no matter how impossible those dreams may appear. People can’t use any of the following excuses:

I’m multi racial
I’m Black/African American
My father left me
I can’t afford school
I can’t be President
I’m not rich
I had family pass away due to diseases
I’m too young

The United States is made up of so many unique and different types of people. Living in Arizona and traveling around the country. I noticed how much this election was and more importantly wasn’t about race. I saw young and old people supporting Obama. Rich and poor. People who said, “I believe he is the best candidate for the job,” versus talking about his race.

The media has made a big deal of this incredible day in history and they should.

The United States made a big step forward on January 20, 2009. The United States is always taking about being the land of opportunity and the land of diversity. But you never really saw it in high positions of authority. I hope Tuesday is just the beginning of opportunities for other underrepresented populations. I can’t wait to see our first female President, a President of Asian Heritage or a President of Hispanic Heritage. I know this won’t happen over night, but I really hope Tuesday shows people that the impossible is possible. If you believe in what you’re shooting for, take the proper actions and when things seem at there lowest you stay determined.

Barack please do a great job. You’ve been a great role model so far, but your journey has just begun. You have the pressure and weight of a nation on your shoulders. You have 200 years of politics to deal with. Congratulations on being the first Black President. You’ve made history! Now you are going to be judged as a President and a leader. You’ll need substance not history to keep people going during these tough times!