Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Kitchen Sink Theory

Over the last year or two, I’ve had several people talk to me about writing a book. It’s been a dream of mine to write and share my thoughts and ideas. I never seem to find the time or get distracted with other things. I have pages of notes and a ton of blogs I need to combine into one single work.

While working around the house, I looked at the kitchen sink and saw how it was full of dishes. We’d had couple of busy days and things built up. This rarely happens because I’m very anal about keeping things clean. The sink made me think about my life and the lives of others. Is my life reflected by the way my kitchen sink/counter area looks?

I came up with the “Kitchen Sink Theory.” I talked to a couple of people and they agreed with my thoughts. My feeling has always been that a person’s living space reflects their life. Now I really feel that a person’s kitchen sink reflects their life/lifestyle.

I took three years of cooking class in high school. Yes, there were a lot of jokes about Kitchen in the cooking class. One of the important things taught to us in the class was to keep our work areas clean and to wash dishes and cooking utensils as soon as possible. When a recipe was cooking on the stove top or cooking in the oven, we would clean the cookware we messed up while preparing the recipe. We were told this would save us time and make things a lot easier. This was so true. By the time the food was ready to eat we didn’t have any dishes to clean. Our workspaces were clean and the only things left to clean were the dishes we ate off of.

Look at your sink now. Is it full of dirty dishes? Do you have cook wear with the left over residue from the last meal you cooked? Do you like at all the work and think, “I don’t have time to clean all these dishes?” Do you have a dishwasher to clean up the mess?

I feel Life is the same way. The dishes are the projects and things to do in our life. Do you clean/finish up the projects as you start working on them? Or do you just let them build up until it just seems like you have too much to do and you'll never be able to do it? Do you hope for a “dishwasher” to clean up complete everything at once? Just like real life, some of us have dishwashers and some of us don’t. Do we wait for the help of the dishwasher or do we take care of things before we need something or someone to bail us out?

Looking at a pile of work (dishes) can be very un-motivating. It can also prevent you from doing a lot of things. (It’s tough to eat if you have nothing to eat off of) Letting things build up also eats away at our time. All of us live very busy lives and have limited free time. The key is to stay on stop of things. Complete your projects when you start them. Don’t let one project and others build up. If you’re letting the dishes in your sink build up, look at your life. Do you let projects build up? Do you say I’ll get it later, or wait until you have HAVE to do it?(you have no dishes to eat off of) Could you have spent 5 minutes now versus 20 minutes later? Do you feel like you have a never ending list of things to do? Having a clean sink or cleaning dishes as you go will make life easier. Good Luck, staying out to of your dishes!