Monday, December 17, 2007

12 miles down 1.1 to go!

Sunday, December 16, 2007. Long Run training Day. Kelly and I have less than a month to go for our half marathon. Sunday's are the days we go out for out long runs to practice for the race. A half marathon is 13.1 miles. A few months ago that number seemed HUGE. To be honest, it looked HUGE on Sunday. Kelly saying we're going to run 12 miles sounded HUGE. Two hours later, 12 miles was complete! Wow, I could have run an extra mile yesterday, so I'm excited for race day to come. We're going to go out and run between 13 and 14 miles after Christmas just to get the milage in one time before the race on January 13th.

Quick Tip: Our condo complex has a pool and hot tub. I used to get in the hot tub after running. Over the last couple of long runs, I've been getting in to the tub before I run. I get in the tub, stretch, then go and run. The hot water helps to loosen up all of my joints and muscles. I've noticed less pain by the end of my runs. This will be continued pre race/run ritual.

1 comment:

ramblings of a runnner said...

hey kitchen -- glad to see you're getting into the running. Quick tip I learned from the tnt people -- do not get into the hot tub after your race... although that would seem like it would feel really good - what you really need to do is ice down your legs - trust me --the ice really helps losen up your legs -- apparently the hot water causes you to tighten up if you do that after your run... congrats on doing the 12!