Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Nelson Ledges Quarry (Click Here)

Vacation - an extended period of recreation, esp. one spent away from home

I'm always telling people to take mini vacations. They always tell me they don't have time for a vacation. I tell them a vacation could be time with frIends or just going somewhere you can relax and recharge their batteries. Life is stressful, so we need time to de-stress ourselves. So I tell people, even if it's just for an hour, go somewhere or do something that will get your mind off of your stresses. My places are time with friends, being somewhere near the water, or close to nature. Here's the story of my latest mini-vacation.

My friends Rachel and Becca had a birthday barbecue on Monday. They are twins so, they had to celebrate together. It was held at the Nelson Ledges Quarry. It was a great time, everyone at the barbecue had a good time just hanging out and swimming. I had a great time just floating on a raft in the middle of the lake. Sitting out on the calm lake in the sun just relaxing was great! Here is the story behind the quarry. Pictures are below.

"The site where the Quarry is located was, in the late 1940's and 50's, an operating quarry. It employed many people in the surrounding area, and mined quartz and sand. As the story goes, one day in the late 1950's, the machinery hit one of the many springs, and the approximate thirty acre area filled within days, leaving peninsulas, rock shelves,
and an island in the middle."


1 comment:

Brian said...

Where's the pic of you floating on a raft? I never knew the story behind Nelson's Ledges. Pretty cool!