Sunday, April 19, 2009

Looking for work?

A lot of people are looking for work these days. Either people have been laid off (companies won't say fired), left a poor employer or just wanted to find something more satisfying personally or fiscally.

There are plenty of jobs out there, but are they good jobs? There is a lot of crap out there too. I've recently began the process of rejoining the full-time workforce. I love speaking and entertaining, but we all have to pay our bills. The economy has seriously impacted many of the performers and speakers I know, including myself.

During my search, I've run into scams, con artists and a variety of false promises. It's amazing what you can find out about a company or employer during an interview. I had one interviewer get upset that I asked questions. He commented, "Are you interviewing us?" YES I AM WAS ALL I THOUGHT. Needless to say, I didn't accept the offer from the well known "online university."

To help everyone with their job searches, I suggest the following. REALLY RESEARCH THE COMPANY YOU CHOOSE TO WORK FOR. Remember it's your choice. The companies hold the advantage over many of the job seekers these days, because job seekers can't be very selective when they have bills to feed and mouths to feed.

One of the best ways to find out about a company is to talk to the companies employees and find out what they think, not the recruiters or sales people selling the company. I recently discovered a great website that give employees the opportunity to "vent" positive or negatively" about the company they work for. Just remember, no one is ever going to be 100% happy with the place they work for. I work at the zoo and I don't really enjoy sweeping goat crap they days I help in the barn, but overall it's a great job. Some jobs treat their employees like the crap I swept up at the zoo......unlimted amounts that can be thrown out at any time.

So click on the link below and find out if employees are venting about things that would make you want to work or not work for a company.

http://www.jobvent.com